Friday 20 September 2013

Marshmallow Fondant & Swiss Meringue Buttercream

I had nothing on this week so I decided to do a bit of experimenting. I tried making macaroons (my 2nd attempt) and it was as successful as my 1st attempt i.e. an unmitigated disaster.

So I set my sights somewhere else and have my first go at making Swiss Meringue buttercream. I used this tutorial, and it's great, really clear instructions and I was very pleased with the result, but I think next time I make it I might use a better quality butter like Lurpak as I found my SMBC was a little yellow. The taste is very different to the buttercreams I usually make, it's not as sweet and it's very light, more like whipped cream than anything.

Having made the SMBC, I covered a four layer sponge cake in it and then decided to try my hand at making marshmallow fondant. I can't say that it works out any cheaper than buying plain white pre-made fondant but the difference in taste is incredibly. I mean I could actually imagine myself eating the fondant on the cake instead of picking it off like I usually do. I used the wilton recipe and this excellent tutorial on youtube for making it in a mixer. In the past I have been put off the idea of making MMF because of the kneading and mess involved but in the mixer it was very easy. I think I added too much icing sugar (I added a little more than the recipe because I found it was still sticky, perhaps I should have just mixed it for longer instead?) when it came to rolling it out it was a bit dry and crumbly. I kneaded in some crisco and gave it a few blasts for 10 seconds on 50% in the microwave and it became much more workable. I think I will need to try again as when I laid it on the cake it was a little pitted around the edge, but given the difference in taste I think it is worth persevering.

So here's the little practise cake I made. It's been donated to my mum so my extended family can devour it and give me their feedback.





Swiss Meringue Buttercream:

194g of egg whites
218g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
500g of very soft unsalted butter
2 tsp of vanilla extract 

Take a large pot and bring about a inch or so of water to the boil in it. Place the egg whites, caster sugar and salt in your mixer bowl and put that on top of the boiling pot (don't let the water touch the bottom). Mix by hand with a balloon whisk until the egg whites reach 160oC. Remove from the heat and put the bowl on the mixer stand, beat with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form (about 10 minutes) and the bowl is cool to touch. Add the butter and vanilla to the meringue and switch to the beater attachment. Beat on the lowest speed until the mixture comes together and you have a smooth and thick buttercream. 

Marshmallow Fondant: 

454g of white mini marshmallows
4 tbsps of water
1kg of icing sugar, shifted
2 tsps vanilla extract
Crisco or trex for greasing. 

Grease the inside of a large microwave safe bowl. Add the marshmallows and the water and heat on full in bursts of 30 seconds until the marshmallow is melted. If you are going to colour your fondant all one colour, add it to the marshmallow now.

Liberally grease your mixer bowl, dough hook and spatula. Place about 3/4 of the icing sugar into the bowl and add the melted marshmallow and vanilla. Mix on a low speed until the fondant is firm and no longer sticky. Add as much of the remaining icing sugar as you need to achieve this. Put onto a well greased surface, thoroughly grease your hands and knead for a few minutes, tightly wrap in clingfilm and allow to rest for a few hours before using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment