Saturday 5 October 2013

Tinker Bell Cake

My cousin asked me to make this for her daughter's 5th birthday. I made the stem of the mushroom using the bottom of a giant cupcake mould and the top was baked in a 1lt pyrex bowl. I think if I was doing this again I would use a bigger bowl but I was worried that if the top overhung too much it wouldn't be stable.

I found smoothing the buttercream on the dome was quite difficult. Initially I tried bending my scraper so that it matched the curve, but I found it very hard to keep a consistent angle and pressure. In the end, I stuck the cake in the fridge to firm up and then smoothed it by placing a paper towel on the top and using a cake smoother.

The flowers etc. are all fondant. The grass was made using royal icing and a grass piping tip.




I bought a Bully Land Tinker Bell topper from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment