Friday 25 July 2014

50th Birthday Cake

This cake I made for my sister's friend's birthday. The topper was fun to make, a fondant bow with the number 50 on it, detailed with gold dragees. I think I'm finally getting the hang of using Tappits.

I hated them when I first got them as I just couldn't get the hang of them, but I think I have finally worked it out. I add a small amount of tylose powder (a little at a time until the fondant "pops" when pulled apart), then roll the fondant out as thinly as possible on a well dusted surface and let it sit for a few minutes to firm up. I cut the fondant into small, thin strips, just wider than the letters.

I then turn the tappit over so it is face down on the table and give it a good dusting with cornflour. I put the fondant strip on top and roll over it with my small rolling pin. I then use the bottom end of the rolling pin to smooth the edge of  the letters. I remove the excess and then smack the tappit off the rolling pin so the letter pops out.



No comments:

Post a Comment