Friday 21 June 2013

Chocolate Ganache & Pigs in Mud Cake

Another last minute order this week. I was asked to make a cake for my cousin's 18th birthday. I needed to do something very quick and simple so I decided to try my hand at the Pigs in Mud cake that went viral in the internet a few months back.

I baked two all-in-one cakes and torted them. I only needed three of the layers or it would have been too tall (so the spare layer is wrapped in cling film and waiting in my freezer for another day). This cake is covered in chocolate ganache which is wonderfully simple to make.

2 cover the three layers of cake (9 inches by, roughly 3 inches) I used

Chocolate Ganche:

400ml of double cream
400g of 70% cocoa dark chocolate, roughly chopped.

Put the double cream in a medium saucepan over a low heat and add the chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream. Remove from the heat and whip for a minute or two until you get a smooth, thick and glossy consistency. Decant into a large bowl and leave to cool and thicken for an hour or two until it's a good thick spreading consistency.

I applied the ganache to the cake with a palate knife, then placed the two finger Kitkats around the edge. I secured them with ribbon. Then just plop your fondant piggy models on top and voilĂ ! 







No comments:

Post a Comment