Friday 14 June 2013

Super Mario Cake (Part 1)

I got a very, very last minute request today for a Super Mario Bros cake, so this evening I have been extremely busy trying to get it made. Thankfully, I have until 5 o'clock tomorrow to deliver so I should have plenty of time tomorrow to get it covered and done.

Here's how it's going so far.

First off I baked 3 rectangle all-in-one cakes. Once cool, I wrapped in clingfilm and bunged in the freezer for a few hours. While they were defrosting I got on with making a template. Right I have to be honest here, I got the husband to draw the template for me, because he's much better at that sort of thing than me.

He drew the face on a sheet of grease proof paper.


I then cut out the face


And pinned it to the cake (be very careful to make sure and remove ALL the pins)


I then carved around the face. I did this twice as it's a two layer cake.


I then repeated the process with the hat, ears and nose, and cemented it all together with chocolate frosting.


It's a bit messy here as it's just the crumb coat.


Do check before you start that the cake board will fit in your fridge. Mine didn't, lucky for me that my mother lives next door and she has a much bigger fridge. The cake is going to chill overnight now and tomorrow I will apply the fondant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment