Friday 7 June 2013

American Buttercream Icing



Measurements are in oz here as I got this recipe from my American mother-in-law (I think it's quite possible that she got it from Betty Crocker or Wilton). I find this is enough to cover a 10 inch 3 inch high cake. It's easy to scale up or down the quantities as needed.

4oz softened unsalted butter
4oz of Crisco
2 tsps of vanilla extract
4 cups of sifted icing sugar
2 tbsps of milk

Cream the butter and Crisco together, add the vanilla extract and mix well. Sift in the sugar while continuing to mix. When the sugar is combined add the milk to the right consistency and beat on high for at least five minutes until the icing is snow white and light.

If I need to colour the icing I add a few drops of colour along with the milk.

I can't take credit for the cake in that picture, it was done by my mother-in-law using this buttercream recipe back in the days before I started to make my own cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment