Thursday 5 December 2013

Burger Cake & Gingerbread Glasses.

My cousin turned 21 last week. It's freaking me out a little. I remember when he was born, I was the age my eldest daughter is now and it really doesn't seem like it was 21 years ago. Anyway, for reasons unknown to me he no longer goes by the name that it took my aunt a week to decide on (Michael), and is now known as "Burger". also he wears glasses.


Makes perfect sense, no? 

The glasses were made from gingerbread (I cut them free-hand, thus why they are a bit shonky looking). The arms are attached with a small amount of melted chocolate. 
To get the glass effect for the lenses I put a handful of Foxes Glacier mints into my food processor and whizzed them until they were broken into small crystals. I put the cooked gingerbread specs onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper and filled in the holes with the crystals. It then went back into the oven at around 170oC for about 5 minutes until the sweets had melted. I then let them cool on the tray for a good half an hour before moving to a rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment