Saturday 24 August 2013

Shoe Cake

So I recently had my first attempt at making a fondant shoe. I was attempting to recreate an Irregular Choice shoe (I love these shoes so much. I want a closet full of them!), well what with being a first attempt and all let's just say it was "inspired" by an Irregular Choice shoe.

There are a lot of tutorials available online to show you how to make a shoe out of gumpaste (or in my case a fondant tylo mix), and you can download templates that you cut out and use to get the shapes. I believe there is also a kit you can buy, but I wouldn't bother personally. I reckon you can do it with cardboard, clingfilm, a block of florists oasis (covered in tin foil or clingfilm), some skewers and a quilting tool. Also start well in advance of when you actually need it, as you need to give it all time to dry out so it doesn't fall apart on you.

I also attempted to do a quilting pattern on fondant for the first time. I'll admit I kind of messed that one up, the angle of my guide was too steep so I ended up with huge diamonds instead of the neat little ones I had been aiming for, but overall it doesn't ruin the look of the thing, it just didn't end up looking how I'd envisioned. But hey, you live and learn.

I covered in cake in Renshaws navy sugarpaste. I'm not sure if this is an issue specific to Renshaws but once the cake was covered the fondant got very wet and sticky. I did a bit of googling and it was suggested that it might be condensation because my cake had just come out of the fridge before it was covered. There are two ways to deal with this, one is to let the cake up to room temperature before covering (not a fan of this plan as I find them much easier to cover when the buttercream is cold and firm), I dealt with it the second way. I turned on a fan and sat it in front of the cake, I didn't touch it, but left it an hour or so until the condensation had evaporated and the fondant was dry enough to work with.

Well this is the result and I am quite happy with it for a first attempt. I'm certainly learning by doing!






No comments:

Post a Comment