Monday 26 August 2013

What time is it?

My baby boy turns five next week. Five! Where is the time going? It doesn't seem like that long ago since he made his debut appearance on my living room floor, or even that long since he kicked off my baking habit when I decided to try and make a Lego cake for him for his third birthday. He has very specific instructions about what he wants for his birthday cake this year (really shouldn't have let him take a poke around Pinterest for ideas).

This year he is all about Adventure Time (and so I am, I love Lumpy Space Princess). I've got six days to go until his party so I've started making cake toppers. This is my first attempt to do a standing fondant figure. I managed to find an excellent tutorial last night on making Woody from Toy Story, Woody of the spindly legs so I could apply that to Finn. Unfortunately the tutorial was in Spanish, but it had step by step photographs so I was able to work it out. It has involved the use of skewers and florist wire, so sadly Finn and his friends cannot be eaten, but the mammoth cake they will be plonked on should hopefully make up for that. So here's a sneak peek at a few of the characters I made last night.

Gunter, Flame Princess and Finn the human

I love Gunter. He is so cute, even if he is cold hearted and evil. 

Marceline the Vampire Queen & Jake the dog


Lady Rainicorn

Lumpy Space Princess

I'm doing a bit of guess work here with how to put this together, namely by pre-making Lady Rainicorn and allowing her to dry out on half a cake dummy the same size as my bottom tier. I hope when the time comes to actually put her on the cake that she doesn't break. My thinking behind doing it this way is that if she was freshly formed she'd be too soft to hold her shape when it came to placing her on the cake. I hope my logic isn't flawed...

Five days to go until the party and I still have a Princess Bubblegum, Beemo, Ice King and Peppermint Butler to make. I'm starting to run out of space to leave these things to dry.


UPDATE:

Well I am out of time and out of energy to do anything more so here are the final characters, Beemo and the Ice King. Guess this cake shall have to be Princess Bubblegum and Earl of Lemongrab-less (UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!)


I will post a picture of the completed cake on Saturday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment